It's Friday morning and once again we're in 'careful watch mode' with Dingo. He's been pretty listless once again the past 16 hours and this morning he's back to turning away from his food. He did manage to eat a few chicken snacks but doesn't seem much interested in a full meal or water. Also got his pills in him by hiding them in a spoonful of hummus (something he can't resist).
Dingo has been spending a lot of time at our sides. This is where he rests at my side during the day while I work.
It's been so emotionally exhausting to us both during this whole experience, being given glimmers of hope only to have them pulled back with the peaks and valleys in Dingo's health. I look at our buddy when he's like this and wonder if we're doing the right thing. Is it really fair to him? Is it the right thing to do rushing him to the vet when his health declines? Is it fair to expect him to cling to life another day, or week after a trip to the vet, only to have him ultimately slip again. I know we got lucky in August and were gifted with two extra months, but this most recent slip came so soon, just 10 days after the last dip in his health.
They say a pet owner will 'know when it's time', that their pet will give them some sign that it's time to let go. As much as neither of us want to see it, we do watch and wait for that horrible moment that will some day come. Thing is Dingo throws a curve ball every time we think we've arrived at that point. Even when he's listless, and you know he's not feeling his best, he looks at you with that bright eyed spark as if behind it all he's still willing to fight.
We'll be keeping close tabs on him, giving him lots of love and waiting to see what he's decided.